Hello My Friends!
Week 2 was off to a better start than week 1, though, it was kind of tough because of the time off I had the week before. It is amazing how much fitness you lose when you take more than 1 day off. No wonder I was so antsy… I did all 4 runs and hit most of the targets – went over a little bit in mileage – but all in all a good week:
- Sunday 12/29/2013 and Monday 12/30/2014 – rest days – still in Florida… and driving home.
- Tuesday, 12/31 – 6.5 miles – this was the 5+ workout, which I did on my home treadmill and ended up with 6.25 miles at an overall of 8:29 average. I was really happy with this run, even though I felt like poo during a large portion of it. …and then I sat down to look at my stats and discovered I was .1 mile short of my 1,150 mile goal. Sooooo… yes… I did get back on the treadmill and knocked out a .26 mi run at the rate of 7:46 just because I could go that fast for that short of a distance – at the end of the day (and year) I was at 6.5
- Wednesday 1/1/2014 – rest day
- Thursday, 1/2/2014 – supposed to be a 6+, but I was wiped out still from the trip and all the activity, so I ended up with a very, very tough 5.5 at an average of 8:32 and stopped there, irritated, but done. On my home treadmill.
- Friday, 1/3/2014 – supposed to be an easy 4, but I thought it was supposed to be 5… and I felt bad about not making the 6+, so I attempted the 6+ again. I had to wait for a treadmill at my office workout room, so I ended up running out of time to do all 4 of the intervals, so I did 2 of them instead. Total mileage was 6.5 at 8:29 overall average pace. Felt waaaaaaayyyyyyy better than the runs on Tuesday and Thursday.
- Saturday, 1/4/2014 – plan called for steady 10 miles with target pace of 8:30-9:10. I joined my gym run group on the American Tobacco Trail for this one and ended up running with a pack of men who, in all honesty, were way too fast for me. I kept up for 5 miles, but after that I had to fall behind and I felt horrible. Then… I finished and discovered that was the fastest 10-miler I have ever run (8:23 average pace overall), including the Tarheel 10-miler races I’ve done and faster than all 3 of the runs I did this week that were half the distance…. so, now I don’t feel quite as bad about this run. I got dehydrated, though. It was really cold (about 20 degrees) so I didn’t drink as much water as I usually do and I think that factored in after I finished because I was cramping in weird places (like my shoulder).
The plan for Week 3: I’m hoping to stay off the treadmill as much as possible this week. I have to work from home on Monday, so that’ll be easier, but Saturday may be tougher. If I have to treadmill the 11, I’ll just have to find a good movie – haha.
- 5+: 5 easy with 4 x 0:20 sec intervals / 2:00 rests
- Target pace 6 miler (1/4/1) – first mile easy, 4 miles at 8:00 to 8:20 pace, last mile easy.
- 5 easy
- 11 at target pace of 8:35 – 9:10
Hope you all have a great week!