Hello My Friends!
I’m retro posting today because I just forgot to post about Week 8. Let’s see how much I can remember… haha
This week started off well, but ended badly because of the onset of a chest cold. I hate getting sick, generally, but I really hate how disruptive it is to my training because I can’t get the speed and/or distance I want (sigh).
Here’s how this week went:
- Sunday, 02/09/2014 – rest day – but, as usual, not at all restful… again. I got the boys after my 18-Miler the day before, so I knew it was going to be a busy day. The boys and I met their dad on a trail to learn a little bike riding… soooooo… I actually ended up doing a lot more running than I wanted after the 18-Miler I did in Week 7. After that, I ran errands and cleaned the house (as much as I could) the rest of the day until I just couldn’t do any more.
- Monday, 02/10/2014 – 7 mi – like the week before, this was supposed to be my tempo run for Wednesday, but I moved it to this day because I didn’t want to do 2 runs on a treadmill this week – we were expecting more snow (grrr) and I figured the rest of the runs for the week would be on the treadmill. It did start sleeting and snowing during my run, but thankfully, nothing really stuck and it motivated me to run faster. I ran a really tough part of the Raleigh Rock and Roll (up Peace Street through to Gardner segment). It felt great.
- Tuesday 02/11/2014 – non-run day and I meant to do abs, but I ended up having to leave work early to get the boys as they were let out early for the impending weather and I ended up working later than usual from home, so I missed the ab work 😦
- Wednesday, 02/12/2014 – First day of the snow, and I was glad it was a run day because I was already going crazy… Plan called for .25 mi speed intervals (16) with 2 mi warm up and 1 mi cool down. Because this was on the treadmill, though, it was much easier for me to do it by time rather than distance, so I did these at 2:30 each and :30 rests between. The target pace was 7:40-7:50, so I used the speeds of 7.7 through 8.0 for these intervals, switching it up when I could. Overall, I ended up with 8.08 mi at an overall of 8:03 average.
- Thursday, 2/13/2014 – Non-run day, but I spent around 3.5 hours shoveling my driveway and some of the sidewalks (in the dark) after the last bit of snow was gone. This time, though, it was a wet, heavy, icy snow and it killed my back. Totally counting this as ab work. Wish I could have counted this as a run because I was more tired, hungry and sore than I was after the 18 miler the week before. gah.
- Friday, 02/14/2014 – Plan called for target pace 6 miler and I planned to do it in the morning. Then stuff came up for work, so I planned to do it at lunch. Then stuff came up with the boys… so I planned to do it in the afternoon and just leave work early. Then, stuff came up at work. Gah. So, no big deal, I can do it at 5. Swear to God, I got about 1/2 a mile in when the boys’ dad called to let me know he was on his way to get the boys (about 2 hours earlier than I thought because he was traveling) so I had to rush to get the boys and all their stuff ready. After they were gone, I was wiped out. So… this was the beginning of my chest cold…
- Saturday, 02/15/2014 – 16 miles were on plan. I slept horribly the night before, though. My throat hurt and I tossed and turned. And I had to pee a lot because I was drinking a lot of water because I was really thirsty… blah, blah, blah. I went outside to test the temperature and realized it was cold and windy and, frankly I could do without freezing my ass off for 16 miles, so I decided to put in a long movie (the Peter Jackson version of King Kong) and just do as much as I could on the treadmill. I got 7.91 before I had to give up for the day. I was happy that I didn’t get zero, but pissed that I didn’t get at least 10.
The plan for Week 9: It steps up again….. and I’m totally terrified of the 18-miler
- 1 mile intervals: 2 mi easy warm up, and then 5 x 1-mi intervals at a 7:45-7:55 pace and 1:30 rests, 1 mi cool down
- 9 mile tempo: 2 mi warm up, and 6 mi at target pace 8:30-8:40, and then 1 mi cool down
- 6 mi target pace of 8:35-9:10
- 18 at target pace of 8:35 – 9:10
- Core Work – goal of at least 3 this week.
Hope you all have a great week!