Training and Coffee: Marathon Week 12

Hello My Friends!

I’m going to start this post out very similar to the way I started week 11… just on the opposite side of the spectrum:

Wow what a week… unfortunately, not for the same reason as week 11 (sigh).

Before I dig into the details, let’s just say: it was a horrible week for training. I’m annoyed with myself and I actually feel pretty horrible after this kind of lower mileage. I had a whopping 10 miles this week, and let’s just say, after the trajectory of where I was going and the pinnacle of 50 miles, it is a really, really hard fall to go that far. It was not pretty – and I’m not happy about it. I had a *great* run today and I felt awesome – I feel like I’m scratching and clawing my way back to where I was last week, but it has been a struggle and I’m annoyed about it.

The marathon is now a week closer, and well, I’m still terrified. I need to learn how *not* to get so wrapped up in things like this, but, well, I can’t. I did a half marathon today – the Tobacco Road Half – and I’ll write about it more in a race report as well as the Week 13 write up. I just hope I can keep up with the higher mileage this week after such a dismal showing last week. Here’s the whole story:

  • Sunday, 03/09/2014 – because I ran hard in that 20-miler from week 11 (and the time was supposed to change for Day Light Savings), I decided to take it easier than I had the previous Sundays. I felt good, albeit a little sore, but overall good. I took the boys to the Raulston Arboretum and then to a NCSU Baseball game (against Notre Dame, which we won! woo hoo!). The Arboretum was a nice, easy walk, and the baseball game was a couple of hours of sitting on my behind. Afterward, the boys and I went home, and I relaxed for about an hour before it was time to get ready for the normal routine. As I waited on the boys to get ready for bed, I did my core routine, to get an early start on the week. I went to bed early and slept in my calf compression sleeves so I made sure I was healed enough for the punishment of the next day’s run.
  • Monday, 03/10/2014 – oh…. cruel daylights savings… I woke up about 10 minutes too late without a run, so the “before work” run didn’t happen. I brought my stuff in to work thinking I had a chance to get one in there: nope. Back to back meetings all day meant no time for a run, so I thought to myself “no biggie – you’re doing the half on Sunday, so it won’t be the end of the world if you do 10-miles tomorrow instead of today”. Quite frankly, it bugged the bejesus out of me all day, but I promised myself a run the next day. I even slept in my run gear, just to make sure I saved myself some time. To make myself feel a little better, I attempted the core routine again… but my abs were like “yeah… nope. not gonna happen today, missy” so I only did one set and about 90 seconds of plank. Overall, a disappointing day.
  • Tuesday 03/11/2014 – The plan called for 6 x 1-mile intervals, and I assumed, because I went to sleep around 9 the night before, I’d be able to wake up in time to get this run. I did not. I woke up in time to get 6, so that’s what I did. In new shoes. Oh, right. That’s been my other issue lately: when do I break in new shoes? Same brand. Same model. But, my experience is, every time I put on a new pair, there is always a little bit of adjusting. I usually start out with 2-3 miles, then gradually increase the mileage from there. But now, I’m faced with the fact that I no longer have runs under 8 miles so, when can I do this (sigh #noobymarathonerproblems). So, what do I do? I decide that, since I only have time for about 6 miles, now is a good time to break in these shoes. So I do a hard 6 mile run in them for the first time. I felt ok when I first got off the treadmill, but after walking around for about 10 minutes, I had what felt like an inflamed tendon running down the middle of my foot and across the top of my big toe on my right foot. Nooooot cool. I was in pain a lot of the day, and was pretty worried that it was something more serious.
  • Wednesday, 03/12/2014 – So, my plan originally was to run back to back runs on Tuesday and Wednesday, take Thursday off, and then do my 8 miler on Friday, giving me Saturday to rest. However, because of the shoe/toe thing, I ended up chickening out of my run on Wednesday, and wearing flats to work (that almost never happens – I love my heels). So… no run this day.
  • Thursday, 03/13/2014 – I decided to try things out with the new shoes again, so I did a 30-ish minute (just under that) walk/run that amounted to about 2.25 miles or so. My runner friends strongly suggested that I even wear my new pair of running shoes around the next day with my “mom jeans” (sigh). It is an image thing with me – they aren’t cute that way. But, I don’t want to injure this close to my race, so I had to suck it up and just do it, even if I feel like I look like a suburban house wife. The feet *did* feel better, so maybe they were on to something or even (ahem) right? (yes, yes they were). But… as my foot was getting better, I was developing yet another cold. I was so drained by the time I got home from work that night that it took every ounce of energy and effort I could muster to get the boys ready for school the next day.
  • Friday, 03/14/2014 – really, really, really craving a good solid 10 miler by this day, but I was miserable. I slept horribly, but I was antsy and irritable and determined to just “bang out a hearty 4 miler” so my conscious knew I had *at least* 10 miles for the week… maybe 15? I could kind of salvage it at this point, right? (sigh) not so fast. The day’s calendar filled up faster than I could say no, and I ended up leaving early so I could get my packet, which took longer than I thought it should…. so the run didn’t happen. I was grumpy about it, but what was I going to do? That’s right. I slept in my run clothes again to ensure I got *something* on that God-forsaken treadmill the next day. So help me.
  • Saturday, 03/15/2014 – The boys woke up at 5:58 to tell me “hey mom! It’s almost 6 am”. haha. Thanks, guys. Your littles will do it to you, too – hehe. I figured, however, since it was early and I had a pretty busy day, that I should go ahead and get up. After using over the counter “cut the cold short” products for 2 days, I was starting to feel a little better and I thought to myself “the best way to clear everything out is to ‘bang out a hearty 4 miler'”. So I did. While watching Dr. Who. It was awesome. Probably because it had been a while. Maybe because I was wearing broken-in shoes. Mostly because I have a giant crush on David Tennant. All that stuff. I do still have quite a bit of congestion, and I was uber worried about dehydration the day before a half, so I stopped the treadmill at each mile to drink water. It was slower than my usual runs of this distance, but I ran, and that made all the difference in the world to me.

Week 13 is the peak – and I’m hoping to incorporate as many miles into group runs as possible this week and keep my behind OFF that treadmill (you hear me, Mother Nature??) Here’s this week’s plan:

  • 11 miles: 2 mi warm up, 8 miles at marathon target pace of 8:20-8:30, 1 mi cool down; I plan to do 6 before the nOg Run Club, and 5 during the club.
  • 8+ Workout: 8 Mi slow, with 5 x :30 intervals at basically top speed; 2 min “rests” between at the slow pace of the 8 miles
  • 8 miles at target pace of 8:35-9:10
  • 22 miles at target of 8:35-9:10 – last long run of the plan (yikes!!!!)
  • Core Work – goal of at least 3 this week again – I got 2 last week, so I should be able to manage 3 this week, though, they’re kind of sore after the half today.

Hope you all have a great week!


One thought on “Training and Coffee: Marathon Week 12

  1. Pingback: Training and Coffee: Marathon Week 13 | The Devil's Chasin' Me

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s