Hello My Friends!
I didn’t number it right last week… I was thinking “I have two weeks before I start training… so, negative two” – and I did, I just had 2 weeks from when I wrote the entry, not from the time I actually started what I wrote about. Oh well – next week will be “week zero”, which might not make sense, but at least I have explained it.
Lordy. <– that’s two weeks in a row…. looks like I need to get my act together.
This week was not at all what I planned. I had this grand plan of finally hitting 30 miles again and the light would shine down and I’d have a theme song every time I walked into a room. Then, I woke up late on Monday and it screwed everything up. I had a small chance at redemption on Saturday, but I did the right thing and it took longer than I expected so I didn’t get my run then, either. However, the ones I *did* get were of a high quality, so I’m really trying not to complain too much… here’s how the week went:
- Sunday, 06/01/2014 – a rest day, kind of. Well… not really. I volunteered at a run stop for the 70.3 Raleigh Half Iron Man event. I did this last year, too, and really loved it, so I decided to do it again this year. I loved it even more this year. I actually knew people in the race and the run course was a shorter double loop so we got to see the runners 4 times. I got there a tad early, so I was on my feet from about 7 am until about 2:30 when I finally left. And, I was very, very sunburned. I did not apply sunscreen well (and apparently in some spots at all), so I was drained by the end of the day. I got the boys from their dad’s, went grocery shopping and fell asleep by 8:30 pm.
- Monday, 06/02/2014 – slept horribly – I had a lot of dreams I didn’t remember, so my brain was super active, which meant I was very tired. On top of that, I woke up around 2 am and tossed and turned until about 3:45 (alarm was set for 4:30) and *could not* wake back up when I needed to. Before work run became impossible. I took my run stuff, determined to do it at work, but the work day just didn’t allow for it, and I was drained of what little energy I had left by the end of the day, so it just didn’t happen. 😦
- Tuesday 06/03/2014 – Come Hell or High Water, I was getting a run today. Determined. And I did. I decided that, since I was likely going to have to do a mid-day run and it was fully sunny, the best thing for me to do with my sunburn was to run on the treadmill. I managed to get up early enough to do a run on my home treadmill before work: speed intervals (with time, rather than distance) amounting to 5.44 at roughly an 8:13 pace.
- Wednesday, 06/04/2014 – I was also determined to run this day, so I took my stuff to work and did another speedy 5.54 run on that treadmill at roughly an 8:16 pace.
- Thursday, 06/05/2014 – Ran with a coworker visiting from Denver and we did this one outside at the end of the day. I was physically exhausted and he’s much faster than me so it did not go well… let’s just say there was some walking involved. We finished at 6 miles, but it was over a 9:30 pace.
- Friday, 06/06/2014 – Decided to take the day off from running, but I worked a long day and ran a bunch of errands, and finally ended up at a salsa night in a nearby town. I didn’t dance, but I did enjoy the music and ended up meeting with a group of single parents and talked to them until much later than I planned, so I didn’t get into bed until after 11… thus, blowing my plans to get up and do a short, fast treadmill run before the volunteering.
- Saturday, 06/07/2014 – I had to get to my volunteering job by 6 am, and was barely up in time for that, so no run. Again, I slept horribly the night before, so getting up in time for the volunteering was an effort. I stayed until the last runner finished (took her a little over 4 hours for the half), so I was there almost 2 hours longer than I was scheduled, but her gratitude and the look on her face from finishing her first half (even though she knew she was last) was totally worth it. Went on to run a ton of errands and finally decided to do something fun that wasn’t as fun as I hoped it would be. Ultimately came home, had dinner and passed out by 9, hoping for better sleep so I can run in the morning.
With that – I am off to meet a run group in Umstead (ahem). I have the Hatfield McCoy Half Marathon (first half) on June 14 (this upcoming Saturday), so this week shouldn’t be anything big because I start marathon training on the 16th. I’ll get bigger miles then, whether I want them or not. haha.
Hope you all have a great week!