Hello My Friends! So… This week was a bit of a bump up that I couldn’t take advantage of and I did fret about it a bit. The biggest obstacle was that I traveled for work – which is usually not a problem because most major hotel chains have fitness centers and treadmills these days, and I’ve learned how to pack efficiently so I can take the suit *and* the run stuff. It is much easier to do that in the summer, too, so there is no excuse. However… Bad weather and the resulting delayed or canceled flights wreck havoc on a training cycle. Thankfully, Mother Nature made it up to me this weekend and I got a tiny bit back. Let’s see how the week went:
- Sunday, 07/13/2014 – On Plan – rest day, plus stretching. I had a pretty productive day, actually. I was way behind on cleaning because of the travel the week before and I knew the next day was going to be early, long, and busy, so I got everything ready: laundry, cleaning, and chores… But I had also made a promise to take the boys to play laser tag, so I did that… Oh man, was that fun! Not exactly restful, though.
- Monday, 07/14/2014 – On Plan – 7+ miles (plus :30 sprints at the end with 1 min rests between) and then abs. I was tired, but determined to get this run done… I dragged myself out of bed and made it to the treadmill in my house. I discovered that my bluetooth headphones no longer power on (??) so I dug my holder and earbuds out of my packed bag and hit the treadmill. I did the ladders again, but instead of 1-2-3-4-5, I did 2-1-1-1, which seemed to work well to keep my pace even. At the end, I did my :30 intervals at 8.0 because I was curious if I could do it yet. I was pleasantly surprised to find out I could. Even though it was for only thirty seconds, that’s faster than I’ve been able to these in the past and I did all 5 at that pace. I walked away from that run thinking “damn, that was pretty awesome,” and looking forward to the rest of the training week… Though, I ran out of time for my abs.
- Tuesday 07/15/2014 – On Plan – 4 miles slow, plus abs: this run was impacted by the day before. I was supposed to fly to NYC on Monday evening, have dinner with some coworkers, go to bed early, sleep soundly (a girl can dream…) and wake up fresh and ready for a hearty 4 miler on a posh NYC hotel treadmill. Unfortunately, Mother Nature had other plans. Traveling to anywhere in the North East on this evening was a headache, if it happened at all. Didn’t happen for me… Because of weather grounding crew necessary to get my plane there, I was stuck in NC over night. I was rebooked on an 8 am flight, but because I really had to be there earlier, I tried to get there in time to fly standby on a 7 am flight. I actually considered getting up at 3 am to get this run in, but because I went to bed at 10, had trouble falling asleep, and slept horribly, I could not get up. I was supposed to fly back that night, but just in case the weather blows up again, I brought an overnight bag – I didn’t pack run stuff, though, because I sincerely thought (and hoped) I wouldn’t need it. It’s only 4 miles – I can tack a little bit to the end of other runs this week and make it up. I took advantage of the situation, though, and went out exploring in NYC with a few coworkers – which was a lot of fun and made up for missing my run 🙂
- Wednesday, 07/16/2014 – On Plan – 4 x 1.5 mi intervals (8:00 – 8:20 target pace with 2 mi warm up, 1 mi cool down and 3:00 rest) (abs): …not so fast, kid… Because of exactly the same reason I was stuck in NC on Monday night, I was stuck in NYC on Tuesday night, though, the worst of it seemed to be concentrated in the South East this time. I was rebooked on a 6:30 am flight this time, though, so even if I had running clothes with me, I wouldn’t have been able to use them. I was at the airport by 4:45 and it was a reaalllllyyyy long busy day for me with no breaks. Again, I slept horribly the night before, so I was drained. I did attempt a run that evening when I got home, but made it only 1.5 miles before I finally accepted that even the 4miler was out of the question and got off. I didn’t even log the run.
- Thursday, 7/17/2014 – On Plan – rest, plus stretching. I was tempted to try a run, but taking advice from others, I decided to follow the plan and actually rest this day.
- Friday, 07/18/2014 – On Plan – 5 easy – I was supposed to meet a run group friend for a run through the downtown of my small town, but he bailed so I ran this in my neighborhood. I was a bit worried about my motivation when running by myself at 7 pm, but thankfully, it was quite nice out (lower than normal temperature and humidity for this time of year) so the hills were really my only foes. I finally got a chance to figure out the workouts feature of iSmoothRun, so I entered some of the upcoming workouts and used the “easy 5” this night. I still did it faster than I probably should have, but I was closer to the target pace than I probably would have been without the audio cues. The workouts evaluate your pace and tell you to go faster or slower to meet your target pace. I liked getting feedback between splits to let me know if I needed to go faster or slower. I plan to enter the other workouts in it today.
- Saturday, 07/19/2014 – On Plan – 13 miles at target pace of 8:30-9:00 and then abs: ran this with a friend who wants to PR a half marathon and is considering (if schedule allows), a full. He lives on the other side of the county from me and suggested one of his favorite running routes – I had never been there, so I was looking forward to seeing it. One of the changes I’ve loved seeing the most in my home town is the expansion of the greenway system, and there are many sections I have not seen yet. He suggested running the Upper Neuse Trail by Falls Lake Dam. Again, we completely lucked out with the weather – mid-60s, lower than usual humidity, even a bit cloudy. This trail isn’t particularly hilly, either, so it was a nice, pleasant run. I then came home, mowed the grass, did my abs, and got ready for another run – haha. My friend also suggested I join a pub run for an E3 fund raiser. The idea is that you start at one bar, run to the second, have a beer, run to the third, have a beer… And so on. I don’t drink, but I thought it sounded like fun, and a good way to get some of those missed miles back and meet other runners, so I went. It was a fun time, and I got 4 miles, so I still landed 30 for the week! I had hoped that all this activity would finally wear my ass out enough for a really good night of sleep, but (sigh)…
A bit of a step back this upcoming week, though, because of the step back last week (and the week before), I may alter this somewhat… Also, ab work was behind this past week, so I’m hoping to stay on schedule this week. I did only one ab session, and that was Saturday, so my goal is 5 sessions this week, hopefully adding one set (half as many reps) to a day… Stay tuned.
Here is the training plan for next week:
- Sun: rest (stretch)
- Mon: 5+ and (abs)
- Tue: rest, but I’ll likely join a run club and do 3-5 (abs and stretch)
- Wed: 9 mile tempo mi (2/6/1 -sub 8:30 overall) (abs)
- Thu: rest (stretch)
- Fri: 5+ and (abs)
- Sat: 8 mi – 8 mi at 8:20-8:45 (abs)
Hope you all have a great week!